Monday, January 31, 2011

The Swimmer

Signe decided to join the Mankato Mantas Swim Club this fall. She has always been a pretty strong swimmer, but I'm amazed at how much farther she has come in a few short months. I may whine a little bit about how early we have to be at the pool for meets (or the fact that Signe, ahem...beat me across the pool a few weeks ago doing both the freestyle and backstroke) but we have been so pleased with her progress and what a positive experience this has been for her. Below are two videos of Signe swimming this past weekend at the Prior Lake Storm meet. The first is the 50 Backstroke (she's in the top lane next to the pool edge) and the second is the 50 Freestyle (she's in Lane 4).

">

http://

On a separate, yet related, note many of you may recall my post on Facebook around Christmas time where Steve and I decided we were going to challenge each other to a 100 meter dash. I was feeling fairly confident at first. I mean, I just ran a 1/2 marathon a few months ago after all! But...after Signe took me to the cleaners in the pool I'm starting to doubt myself. Maybe it's because I'm not a sprinter. Or maybe it's because, as Saints swimming phenom, Ashley Lager, pointed out the other night "no one really knows how hard swimming is unless they do it." (Not that I'm trying to come across as young and hip--I mean I got my butt kicked by a 10 year old after all-- but I can't think of a better way to describe those words than "true THAT.") I do know one thing, though--I have some training to do. I may not win this race either, but that's OK. Steve has to win sometimes, right? :)

Speaking of Ashley, click here to read a story about her and her sister, Alissa (also a stand-out swimmer/diver for the Saints) in the St. Peter Herald this week. Ashley is one of the reasons Signe is really into swimming; and it all started by her simply inviting Signe to a swim meet when she saw her in the hall at the high school one afternoon after school. Nice girls, and always excited to see Signe and hear her swimming stories :)

No comments: